'A bigger stage awaits me': Julie Tan
SINGAPORE - Actress Julie Tan said at Sunday's Star Awards that she will be moving on from Mediacorp when her contract expires in June.
The 24-year-old, who won three awards at last year's annual show, walked away from the main ceremony on Sunday (April 16) empty-handed.
She had been nominated for a Top 10 Most Popular Female Artiste award, which she won in 2015 and 2016.
In backstage interviews, she announced that this would be her "last Star Awards show", adding that she will not be returning to the Mediacorp stable after June.
She declined to reveal future plans, but said she is at a "crossroads" in life. It was perhaps an overseas stint last year, combined with her losses at the Star Awards this year, that led to this decision.
Tan had taken six months off last year in June. She then headed to New York, where she attended a four-month course at the New York Film Academy.
She has returned to Singapore a changed person. "I can only say Julie Tan has changed and she's no longer the same. But I'd like to thank everyone for their support (for me)," she said in the interview.
"I'm a different person who thinks big and acts bold. The company treats me really well, too. But I think it's time to go on a different path," she added.
"A bigger stage awaits me."
But "acting is still my dream", she assured fans, and is still open to filming for local drama series, "as long as Mediacorp has shows for me", she said.