Next year’s World Street Food Congress to include campaign on 50 S’pore dishes
SINGAPORE — After a successful debut last year, the World Street Food Congress (WSFC) will be back next year, said its creator, Makansutra founder KF Seetoh.
The event will run from April 8 to 12 at the open field opposite Bugis Junction, at the intersection of Rochor Road and North Bridge Road. Previously held over 10 days at the F1 Pit Building and Paddock, Seetoh explained that the inaugural WSFC was too spread out. For the second edition, he decided to “jam-pack everything over five nights” for a richer, more intense experience.
“We want to address the issue of the continuity of street food culture before it disappears. We want to preserve the craft and heritage of street food, professionalise the industry and create new possibilities for it,” said Seetoh yesterday (Oct 18), during a press conference held at the Singapore Tourism Board office. As part of the event, the food guru also took a selection of international and local food writers across Singapore for a 24-hour eating marathon.
Next year’s WSFC will include up to 30 food stalls from 12 countries as well as dialogue sessions from influential players in the international dining scene. As part of the SG50 celebrations, there will also be a year-long culinary campaign featuring 50 Singapore dishes.
“We’ll be sharing the secrets of the trade (and) putting up recipes,” said Seetoh. “(For street food), every dish we eat contains a message of heritage and culture.”
Which Singapore dishes do you think should be included in the year-long campaign? Leave your comments below.