Market forces will decide on success of fourth telco
SINGAPORE — As the auction of airwaves for the Republic’s fourth mobile operator approaches, Minister for Communications and Information Yaacob Ibrahim has said the authorities will “leave it to the market to decide” if there is a successful bid.
Asked if Sept 1 might be too tight a deadline for potential entrants to meet, especially given the Brexit effect, Dr Yaacob said the market had been “primed” for a very long time.
“The Infocomm Development Authority has done the consultation and analysis, and we think there’s space for a fourth telco,” he said.
“We’ll have to leave it to the market players.”
Two candidates have announced their interest so far: MyRepublic and OMGTel.
Dr Yaacob was also asked about the possible implications of the results of the Media Consumer Experience Study for future policies, and he said that at this stage, further study is needed before the authorities can come to any decision.
The Media Development Study found that 90 per cent of those aged 15 to 34 are watching shows online, with younger viewers also spending more viewing time online than on traditional television. TOH EE MING