Skip to main content

Advertisement

Advertisement

Wuhan virus: Some hotels in S'pore brace themselves for fallout

SINGAPORE — At least one hotel here has seen an increase in group cancellations since one of its guests was confirmed with the Wuhan coronavirus.

Wuhan virus: Some hotels in S'pore brace themselves for fallout

Village Hotel Sentosa has reported a rise in group cancellations from next week, but believes the reason is group travel restrictions imposed by China rather than the fact it hosted a guest who later tested positive to the Wuhan coronavirus.

SINGAPORE — At least one hotel here has seen an increase in group cancellations since one of its guests was confirmed with the Wuhan coronavirus.

Village Hotel Sentosa, where the fourth person in Singapore to be confirmed with the virus had stayed, told TODAY on Wednesday (Jan 29) that the cancellations were likely to be the result of restrictions imposed by China on group travel.

Earlier this week, China banned group travel within China and overseas to reduce the spread of the coronavirus, which is said to have originated from the city of Wuhan, in Hubei province.

A 36-year-old man from Wuhan had stayed at the Village Hotel Sentosa from Jan 22 to 24 before he tested positive for the virus on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Shangri-La’s Rasa Sentosa Resort and Spa, which had also hosted two guests who later tested positive for the virus, is offering free cancellations to guests who have made reservations.

“Guests who are booked to stay or arrive at Shangri-La’s Rasa Sentosa Resort and Spa from Jan 29 till Feb 8 can contact us to get their reservations cancelled with no extra charges,” said a hotel spokesperson.

The hotel will also waive the cancellation charges for guests travelling to any of its hotels in China, or guests travelling from China to any of its hotels around the world for stays on or before Feb 29.

A 66-year-old Chinese man from Wuhan who later became the first person to test positive for the virus in Singapore had stayed in the Shangri-La’s Rasa Sentosa Resort and Spa from Jan 20 to 22. He was confirmed to have the virus on Jan 23.

His son, 37, who had stayed with him in the hotel, was also confirmed to have the virus a day later.

When asked if the hotel has seen a drop in bookings, the hotel spokesperson said: “Global events such as this will naturally have an impact on our industry. However, it is still very early days for us to predict its full impact on our business.”

The hotel added that its priority is to ensure the health and wellbeing of its guests and employees, adding that it has stepped up the cleaning of its hotel facilities and has been conducting temperature checks for guests and staff.

In response to TODAY’s queries on whether its bookings have been affected, Marina Bay Sands, where a 35-year-old man from Wuhan had stayed at before testing positive for the virus, said that it is not currently in a position to answer questions on business impact.

Ms Muyar Papawin, who mans the front desk at J8 Hotel in Jalan Besar, said that operations remain “normal” and that the hotel continues to see walk-in bookings.

A 53-year-old woman from Wuhan had stayed in the hotel before testing positive for the virus on Jan 24.

Related topics

hotel travel Wuhan virus

Read more of the latest on

Advertisement

Popular

Advertisement

Stay in the know. Anytime. Anywhere.

Subscribe to get daily news updates, insights and must reads delivered straight to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.

Aa