Skip to main content



Circuit Road flat murder: Man admits he killed ex-colleague in jealous rage, tried to have sex with corpse

SINGAPORE — He wanted her as his girlfriend but she did not return his feelings, so he began spying on her as he felt she was pulling away.

Boh Soon Ho (pictured) is on trial for strangling Zhang Huaxiang to death with a bath towel in his Circuit Road flat after she rejected his sexual advances, then trying to have sex with her body.

Boh Soon Ho (pictured) is on trial for strangling Zhang Huaxiang to death with a bath towel in his Circuit Road flat after she rejected his sexual advances, then trying to have sex with her body.

Follow us on Instagram and Tiktok, and join our Telegram channel for the latest updates.

SINGAPORE — He wanted her as his girlfriend but she did not return his feelings, so he began spying on her as he felt she was pulling away.

Boh Soon Ho eventually snapped and strangled Zhang Huaxiang to death with a bath towel in his Circuit Road flat after she rejected his sexual advances. 

He then stripped her, took photographs of her nude body and then tried to have sex with her corpse, but could not sustain an erection.

These details emerged in the High Court on Wednesday (Sept 18) as Boh, a 51-year-old Malaysian, began standing trial for murdering Zhang, 28, on March 21, 2016.

Boh has confessed to his crimes and his defence lawyers are making the case that he was provoked into committing his acts of violence as Zhang had angered him. 

If convicted of murder, he faces the death penalty. 

Two other charges of attempted sexual penetration of a corpse, as well as the misappropriation of Zhang’s iPhone and S$50 in cash, were stood down for the trial.

Boh admitted in his police statements that he was “furious” and wanted to kill her. He also reenacted the murder for police officers, and described his actions that day.

His lawyer, Mr Eugene Thuraisingam, told the court that Boh had a “sudden and temporary loss of self-control” before strangling Zhang.


On Wednesday, Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) Wong Kok Weng said in his opening statement that this was a “case of a murder driven by jealousy, rage and unrequited desire”.

Boh and Zhang were never physically intimate, only going out to shop and eat together at times. The pair met around 2011 when they worked as servers in the staff cafeteria at Marina Bay Sands integrated resort.

Zhang was working there part-time while studying nursing at a polytechnic, and later worked as a nurse after graduating.

In March 2016, Boh grew suspicious as she began turning down his invitations to go out. He went to the block of flats opposite hers to spy on her on four to five occasions.

Three days before the murder, he saw her leaving her block with a man in a taxi. He became “increasingly jealous”, DPP Wong said.


On the day of the murder, Boh invited Zhang to a steamboat lunch at his flat.  After the meal, as she was combing her hair in front of his bedroom mirror, he hugged her from behind and told her he wanted to make love to her.

DPP Wong said: “(Zhang) scolded him, ‘Crazy, go away!’ in Mandarin. The accused pushed her to his bed and climbed on top of her body. The accused kissed her on the lips and tried to insert his tongue into her mouth. 

“(She) warned the accused that she would bite off his tongue if he did so. She also warned that she would shout for help and this would embarrass him,” the prosecutor added.

Zhang indeed shouted for help and Boh used his hand to cover her mouth, then let her go. But a while later, he forcefully put his hands under her clothes and caressed her breasts.

When she fled to the living room, he dragged her back into his bedroom. After he released her, she sat on a massage chair, trembling. 

DPP Wong said Boh observed her and knew she was afraid.


Boh then accused Zhang of lying to him, saying he had seen her leaving her block with a Chinese man three days before.

She replied that the man was her ex-boyfriend from China and they had gone out a few times. Boh continued to harangue her, saying that she had hidden many things from him, and she replied that it was normal for her to be intimate with her ex-boyfriend.

He got angry when he heard this, and looped a bath towel around her neck from behind, DPP Wong told the court.

He strangled her for about two minutes before releasing his grip. He then carried her body to the bed and saw that her face had turned “black”.

“After killing the deceased, the accused still wanted to satiate his sexual desires for the deceased,” DPP Wong said.

The prosecutor added: “Now that she was dead, she could no longer resist him and he could do to her what he earlier wanted. He told himself that ‘since she had died and I have never seen her naked before, I should undress her’.”

He stripped to his underwear, removed Zhang’s clothes, took several nude photos of her body and tried to have sex with the corpse, but could not sustain an erection.


Boh then prepared to flee Singapore by packing his clothes and discarding most of Zhang’s belongings, but pocketed her cash and mobile phone.

He sent a phone text message to his supervisor, saying he would go to Malaysia the next day for a month. He also called his landlord Chai Yong Siong to find out when Mr Chai would next return to the flat.

Mr Chai told him he would be returning the next day.

Boh at first planned to dispose of Zhang’s body in his luggage and put it in the undergrowth somewhere in Sembawang, but realised that he could not bend the body as rigor mortis had begun to set in.

He thought of chopping the body into pieces but did not do so. Instead, he spent the night sleeping next to her in his bedroom. 

On March 22, 2016, the day after he had killed Zhang, he met his friend Chong Kean Khae and sold him some personal items to raise money. Boh told Mr Chong that he was leaving Singapore as he did not feel like working here anymore.

Boh then went to collect his salary at Far East Shopping Centre and returned to the flat to retrieve his belongings and the bath towel. 

He left the air-conditioner and lights in his bedroom switched on before leaving his flat for the final time, in the hope that this would prevent Zhang’s body from decomposing. 

He then passed through Woodlands Checkpoint and took a taxi to his younger sister’s place in Malacca.

Later that day, at about 7.30pm, Mr Chai the landlord went to the flat and discovered Zhang’s body on Boh’s bed. He called the police.

The next day, Boh called Mr Chai from an unknown Malaysian number and told him that he was in Kuala Lumpur and that he had strangled Zhang.

They communicated over the next several days through phone text messages. Mr Chai provided police officers with screenshots of the messages.

The Malaysian police arrested Boh on April 4, 2016 while he was having dinner at a restaurant. He was brought back to Singapore the next day.

A forensic pathologist from the Health Sciences Authority certified Zhang’s cause of death as a manual compression of her neck.

Dr Gwee Kenji, a psychologist from the Institute of Mental Health (IMH), said in a report that Boh did not meet the criteria for intellectual disability. 

Another IMH psychiatrist, Dr Stephan Phang, noted that Boh had the mental capacity to know the nature of wrongfulness of his act, and that his behaviour after the murder reflected “a state of mind which was deliberate, logical, nimble and unfettered by any form of mental derangement or loss of impulse control”.

The trial continues before Justice Pang Khang Chau.

Related topics

murder court Circuit Road corpse death crime

Read more of the latest in




Stay in the know. Anytime. Anywhere.

Subscribe to get daily news updates, insights and must reads delivered straight to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.