Skip to main content

Advertisement

Advertisement

Courage Fund relief schemes close with immediate effect

SINGAPORE — Covid-19 relief schemes under the Courage Fund will cease with immediate effect, the Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) and National Council of Social Service (NCSS) said on Tuesday (May 24).

Close to 30,000 individuals had benefited from the Courage Fund relief schemes, including healthcare and other frontline workers, and lower-income households directly affected by Covid-19.
Close to 30,000 individuals had benefited from the Courage Fund relief schemes, including healthcare and other frontline workers, and lower-income households directly affected by Covid-19.

SINGAPORE — Covid-19 relief schemes under the Courage Fund will cease with immediate effect, the Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) and National Council of Social Service (NCSS) said on Tuesday (May 24).

The agencies decided to do so after they reviewed the schemes when Singapore adjusted its Disease Outbreak Response System Condition status from orange to yellow on April 26, and the extensive easing of community and border measures, they said in a joint statement.

MSF and NCSS noted that close to 30,000 individuals had benefited from the relief schemes, including healthcare and other frontline workers, and lower-income households directly affected by Covid-19.

As of April 30 this year, the fund had raised around S$18.5 million in donations from the community. As of May 12, around S$9.9 million has given out.

The fund was first set up in 2003 during the outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome in Singapore. When the coronavirus pandemic struck in 2020, a fundraising effort was kickstarted again by the Community Chest to support those affected by the pandemic.

It was targeted at providing support under various schemes for lower-income households, healthcare workers, frontline workers and community volunteers, as well as dependents of those who die from Covid-19.

The fund was expanded in August last year to provide a second payout for lower-income households who were financially affected as a result of a family member contracting Covid-19 or serving isolation on more than one occasion.

MSF and NCSS said on Tuesday that those who had been certified as Covid-positive before Tuesday can still apply for relief from the fund. Eligible individuals have until July 24, 2022 to submit their applications.

For those who wish to apply for the lower-income households relief scheme, they have until Nov 24, 2022, or within six months from the end of the Covid-19 contraction to do so, whichever is earlier.

The statement said individuals who do not qualify for Courage Fund relief schemes and require financial assistance can apply for the Covid-19 Recovery Grant if they have experienced involuntary job loss, involuntary no-pay leave or significant income loss.

Those requiring assistance with basic living expenses can apply for ComCare.

For individuals who do not qualify for the Covid-19 Recovery Grant or ComCare, they may approach their nearest Social Service Offices for assistance.

Related topics

Courage Fund Covid-19 covid-19 relief MSF NCSS

Read more of the latest in

Advertisement

Popular

Advertisement

Stay in the know. Anytime. Anywhere.

Subscribe to get daily news updates, insights and must reads delivered straight to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.