Due process given to 57 repatriated: Indranee Rajah
SINGAPORE — Due process had been given to the 57 foreign workers who were repatriated following the December 8 riot at Little India, Senior Minister of State for Law and Education Indranee Rajah said yesterday (Dec 21).
SINGAPORE — Due process had been given to the 57 foreign workers who were repatriated following the December 8 riot at Little India, Senior Minister of State for Law and Education Indranee Rajah said yesterday (Dec 21).
She said that repatriation orders fall under the executive function of the government.
Ms Indranee added that the process had been carefully considered, with extensive interviews and investigation.
She said some 4,000 people had been interviewed, of whom, 400 were further investigated.
Out of the 400, Ms Indranee said more than 200 would be issued police advisories, while 57 were repatriated.
She said: “Each country has its right to determine its own laws. This is the system that we have chosen for Singapore. It has worked for the safety and security of Singaporeans which we place at paramount importance.”
Ms Indranee was speaking at the Student Assistance Fund Presentation Ceremony, where she presented cheques to some 100 students from low-income families living in the Tanjong Pagar and Tiong Bahru area.
Each student received between S$200 and S$400. CHANNEL NEWSASIA
