Ex-CNB chief vows to move on as prosecution drops appeal
SINGAPORE — With the prosecution deciding not to appeal against his acquittal, former Central Narcotics Bureau Director Ng Boon Gay yesterday said he can finally focus on moving on from the sex-for-favours investigation and trial, an episode he described as “the darkest and lowest point” of his life.
SINGAPORE — With the prosecution deciding not to appeal against his acquittal, former Central Narcotics Bureau Director Ng Boon Gay yesterday said he can finally focus on moving on from the sex-for-favours investigation and trial, an episode he described as “the darkest and lowest point” of his life.
The prosecution had until yesterday to appeal against Mr Ng’s acquittal. In a statement on its decision, the Attorney-General’s Chambers said none of District Judge Siva Shanmugam’s findings of fact on the case “necessitate an appeal”.
In a statement released by his lawyers, Mr Ng, 46, said the 19 months since investigations against him began in December 2011 have been “a truly humbling experience”.
“During this difficult and anxious period for my family and me, my wife Yen has been my pillar of strength and words cannot convey my gratitude to her,” he said. “I have also been blessed with the support and help of my family members and my friends. Even strangers on the street have come up to me to express their support and belief in my innocence.”
Mr Ng was charged in June last year with four counts of corruptly obtaining sexual gratification from former IT sales manager Cecilia Sue, in one of two high-profile corruption cases involving senior public servants.
Former Singapore Civil Defence Force Commissioner Peter Lim, who was found guilty last month, will be sentenced tomorrow.
Mr Ng still faces disciplinary proceedings against him by the Ministry of Home Affairs. “Under the Civil Service disciplinary framework, the officer will be given an opportunity to be heard. A decision will be made on the case based on all the relevant facts,” a ministry spokesperson said.
Mr Ng will continue to be suspended from duties, pending the outcome of the proceedings. Referring to his 20 years with the Singapore Police Force, Mr Ng said it “sadden(ed) me to find myself at the wrong end of the investigations”. He “always had faith in the criminal justice system” but felt “disheartened” at times, he said.
Thanking his lawyers, he added: “Now that this chapter has drawn to a close, I can focus on moving forward with my life.”
The AGC said it had “carefully considered” the detailed Grounds of Decision which was issued on May 28. Judge Siva had agreed with the prosecution that the oral sex received by Mr Ng amounted to gratification, but ruled that intentions of Mr Ng and Ms Sue were without ulterior motive.
The AGC said no clarification was needed where legal principles are concerned. As for the facts of the case, the judge had “stressed his reliance on his personal assessment of the witnesses and their credibility” and none of his findings “necessitate an appeal,” it said.
