Skip to main content

Advertisement

Advertisement

F&B licences of 3 errant nightclub operators revoked; Govt considers more measures amid growing KTV Covid-19 cluster

SINGAPORE — The authorities have for the first time revoked the food-and-beverage (F&B) licences of three nightclub operators for breaking Covid-19 safety regulations in the midst of a surge in community cases.

The authorities have revoked the food-and-beverage licenses of converted nightlife operators (clockwise from top left) DMAX, Peony Garden Food House and 3 Kings Pub for multiple breaches of Covid-19 rules.

The authorities have revoked the food-and-beverage licenses of converted nightlife operators (clockwise from top left) DMAX, Peony Garden Food House and 3 Kings Pub for multiple breaches of Covid-19 rules.

Follow us on Instagram and Tiktok, and join our Telegram channel for the latest updates.

  • The Government has for the first time revoked the F&B licences of nightclub operators
  • They have broken Covid-19 safety rules amid a growing cluster linked to such venues
  • Eleven other eateries were fined between S$1,000 and S$2,000 for flouting such rules
  • The Government is deliberating on what additional measures to take in light of the growing size of the KTV infections 

 

SINGAPORE — The authorities have for the first time revoked the food-and-beverage (F&B) licences of three nightclub operators for breaking Covid-19 safety regulations in the midst of a surge in community cases.

Finance Minister Lawrence Wong said that the Government’s Covid-19 task force, of which he is co-chair, is deliberating on what additional measures to take as a result of a growing cluster of infections involving karaoke lounges and nightclubs.

There were 34 more cases linked to KTV lounges on Thursday (July 15), bringing the cluster’s size to 88.

In a statement on Thursday (July 15), the Ministry of Sustainability and the Environment (MSE) said that the three nightspots flouted several infection control measures and must stop operations immediately.

They were: 

  • Peony Garden Food House (also known as Club Diamond) at Oriental Plaza in Chinatown

  • 3 Kings Pub at Lucky Plaza along Orchard Road

  • DMAX at Golden Mile Tower along Beach Road
     

The clubs’ operators had recently converted into eateries serving food and drinks, but will now have their F&B licenses revoked, which means they will no longer be allowed to operate.

Pubs, bars, nightclubs, discotheques and karaoke lounges have been barred from operating in their original form since March last year.

Some of the offences committed by the three operators included allowing groups larger than two to sit together when the rules did not permit it then, failing to minimise interaction between workers and customers, playing music and providing entertainment such as card games.

Two of the operators — Club Diamond and 3 Kings Pub — had only just reopened on Tuesday after being ordered to close for 10 days for previous offences.

MSE has stressed over the past months that many converted nightlife venues were flagrantly breaking Covid-19 laws by continuing to operate nightlife activities such as employing hostesses.

In May, it warned that it would revoke the F&B licences of such operators that commit serious breaches of safety regulations.

11 EATERIES, 31 PEOPLE FINED

For also flouting Covid-19 safety rules, 11 other eateries were fined between S$1,000 and S$2,000.

These breaches included seating groups of customers less than 1m apart and allowing customers to consume alcohol on its premises after 10.30pm.

The 11 eateries were:

  • Al Mubin Eating House (92 Syed Alwi Road)

  • Barakath Restaurant (11 Dalhousie Lane)

  • Food Republic food court at 313@Somerset mall

  • Golden Treasure Restaurant (70 Lor 25A Geylang)

  • Haakon (313@Somerset B2-53/53A )

  • Mamita’s Kitchen (Lucky Plaza #02-60)

  • Plentyfull Deli (Great World City #B1-K119)

  • Ristorante Luka (18 Tanjong Pagar Road)

  • The Dark Gallery (Ngee Ann City #B2-29)

  • Yue Yu Restaurant (66 Lor 25A Geylang)

  • &Joy Dining Hall (Great World City #B1-133)
     

MSE added that 24 diners were fined S$300 each for gathering in groups larger than the permitted size while at various F&B outlets. Seven F&B staff members were fined S$300 for failing to wear masks.

“Agencies will not hesitate to take firm enforcement action against operators and individuals who flout SMMs,” the ministry warned.

‘DISAPPOINTED’

In his Facebook post on Thursday, Mr Wong said that he knew many people were “feeling disappointed and frustrated about the recent Covid-19 cases at KTVs”.

“I feel the same. Cases like these demonstrate how, in times of crisis, personal responsibility matters... The choices we make for ourselves are the choices we make for our community,” he said.

“We are working round the clock to deal with the latest cases, to contain them and to keep our community safe. The MTF (multi-ministry task force) has also been deliberating on what additional measures to take and will give an update soon.”

In the meantime, he urged people who had visited the KTV lounges that have been linked to Covid-19-positive cases to get tested and isolate themselves.

The loosened restrictions allowing groups of up to five persons to dine out just started on Monday.

On Wednesday, Health Minister Ong Ye Kung said that the Government had decided against tightening restrictions again due to the cluster because Singapore was in a “much more resilient position”, given that more than 70 per cent of the population has taken one dose of a Covid-19 vaccination and more than 40 per cent are fully vaccinated.  

Related topics

MSE KTV karaoke breaches Covid-19 coronavirus Lawrence Wong

Read more of the latest in

Advertisement

Popular

Advertisement

Stay in the know. Anytime. Anywhere.

Subscribe to get daily news updates, insights and must reads delivered straight to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.