Skip to main content



Jail for wanted man who left traffic police officer lying injured on CTE after dragging him for 75m

SINGAPORE — While wanted by the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) for failing to report for a urine test, Heng Yong Qin was caught last year driving without a seatbelt along Central Expressway (CTE).

Jail for wanted man who left traffic police officer lying injured on CTE after dragging him for 75m


  • Heng Yong Qin, 32, had just been released from jail for taking illegal drugs
  • He breached the conditions of his mandatory aftercare scheme and did not report for a urine test
  • A traffic police officer on the CTE stopped Heng, who was wanted by CNB
  • To escape arrest, Heng drove off as the officer clung on the steering wheel
  • The officer was dragged for 75m before he fell onto the CTE injured as Heng fled the scene

SINGAPORE — While wanted by the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) for failing to report for a urine test, Heng Yong Qin was caught last year driving without a seatbelt along Central Expressway (CTE).

Nervous that he would be placed under arrest again, he tried to flee the scene. A traffic police officer held onto his steering wheel to stop him but he continued driving off, dragging the officer for 75m until the other man fell onto the expressway.

Heng then sped off and hid at his cousin’s place. The victim lay on the road for about 18 minutes due to his injuries while traffic built up as vehicles tried to avoid him.

On Tuesday (March 8), Heng was sentenced to a total jail term of six years and 36 days, along with 44 days’ jail for breaching a remission order. He was also ordered to receive three strokes of the cane for consuming methamphetamine.

The 32-year-old pleaded guilty to one charge each of voluntarily causing hurt to deter a public servant from their duty, drug consumption, and breaching mandatory aftercare conditions under his remission order.

Three other similar charges were taken into consideration for sentencing.

Heng was released from prison in July 2020 after serving a three-year jail sentence for consuming meth, the court heard.

He had multiple previous convictions dating back to 2005 for offences such as robbery, theft, and riding a motorcycle without a licence.

When he was last released, he was placed in the Singapore Prison Service’s mandatory aftercare scheme. Some conditions included continuing to live in his Ang Mo Kio flat until the remission order expired in May 2021, and remaining indoors between 10pm and 6am daily.

He then breached his curfew for a total of 134 hours between Sept 27 and Oct 22, 2020. He deliberately ignored calls and phone text messages from his supervising officer during that period, before voluntarily surrendering.

He claimed that he had not returned home because he had incurred online gambling debts totalling S$15,000 and did not want illegal bookies to cause trouble for him at home.

His lawyer Wee Hong Shern said that Heng feared for his elderly mother’s safety and had stayed with his Thai girlfriend, before surrendering to the authorities when he resolved his debt issues.


Several months later, on March 27 last year, Senior Staff Sergeant Haidil Osman spotted Heng not wearing a seatbelt while driving a Volkswagen along the CTE towards Ayer Rajah Expressway.

The police officer signalled to Heng to pull over at the roadside for a check. Heng then abruptly stopped along the road shoulder and remained in his car when the officer signalled for him to alight.

Sensing something amiss, Senior Staff Sergeant Haidil asked why he was not wearing a seatbelt. Heng ignored the question and handed him his driving licence.

The officer screened his particulars and realised he was wanted by the CNB for failing to report for his urine test. Senior Staff Sergeant Haidil then asked him to exit his vehicle.

Heng complied and asked the officer if he was wanted by CNB, claiming he had medical certificates for his absences and that he had already informed his reporting officer about this.

The officer warned him to stay put. However, Heng grew anxious upon seeing another police vehicle approaching and decided to flee the scene.

He dashed towards the driver’s seat. Senior Staff Sergeant Haidil grabbed his arm to stop him but he broke free, got into the car and started the ignition.

Noticing that Heng already had his foot on the accelerator pedal, Senior Staff Sergeant Haidil held onto Heng’s arm and the steering wheel. Heng then hit the officer’s arm in order to break free and sped off while the officer was still holding on.

Senior Staff Sergeant Haidil was dragged for 75.2m until he lost his balance and fell onto the CTE.

Video footage of the incident from a Land Transport Authority camera was played in court, showing the officer rolling around the lanes before lying there. A few vehicles including lorries approached him when he landed but none struck him.

Another traffic police officer called for assistance. Senior Staff Sergeant Haidil lay on the ground for about 18 minutes before he was taken to Raffles Hospital.

He was given 10 days of hospitalisation leave after suffering an abrasion and neck tenderness among other injuries.

Heng fled the scene, parking his car outside a primary school gate before taking a taxi to his cousin’s place.

Those convicted of causing hurt to a public servant can be jailed for up to seven years, as well as fined or caned.

For consuming a specified drug, Heng could have been jailed at least five years and given at least three strokes of the cane.

Related topics

court crime Traffic Police traffic offences drugs public servant

Read more of the latest in



Stay in the know. Anytime. Anywhere.

Subscribe to get daily news updates, insights and must reads delivered straight to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.