Skip to main content

Advertisement

Advertisement

Majority of S'poreans who have not taken Covid-19 vaccine booster jabs are seniors: Ong Ye Kung

SINGAPORE — The majority of Singaporeans who have yet to receive their Covid-19 vaccine booster shots are people aged 60 and above, Health Minister Ong Ye Kung said in Parliament on Monday (Feb 28).

Majority of S'poreans who have not taken Covid-19 vaccine booster jabs are seniors: Ong Ye Kung

Seniors getting their Covid-19 vaccinations at Tanjong Pagar Community Centre in 2021.

SINGAPORE — The majority of Singaporeans who have yet to receive their Covid-19 vaccine booster shots are people aged 60 and above, Health Minister Ong Ye Kung said in Parliament on Monday (Feb 28).

As to why they have chosen not to do so, Mr Ong said that a common reason given is that they “seldom go out, feel adequately protected with their primary vaccination and preferred to delay their booster vaccination”.

Mr Ong was responding to a parliamentary question raised by Member of Parliament Joan Pereira (Tanjong Pagar Group Representation Constituency).

Ms Pereira had asked the minister to provide a breakdown of the 21,800 or so people aged 18 and above whose Covid-19 vaccination status had lapsed on Feb 14.

This figure was first reported by The Straits Times on Feb 16.

Singapore's multi-ministry Covid-19 task force previously announced that from Feb 14, a booster shot must be taken within 270 days, or nine months, of completing the primary series of the vaccine to maintain a "fully vaccinated" status.

Ms Pereira had also asked Mr Ong if the Ministry of Health (MOH) knew why those whose status had lapsed chose not to get a vaccine booster and if there were plans to encourage them to do so.

Mr Ong replied that of these 21,800 people, 38 per cent of them are work pass holders, 14 per cent are permanent residents and the remaining 48 per cent are Singaporeans.

“(MOH) is unable to ascertain the reasons for them not getting their boosters, but indications are that many are overseas.” 

He added that MOH will continue to encourage individuals to come forward and take their booster dose when they are eligible, through phone text messages, “making vaccination as convenient as possible” and deploying mobile vaccination teams to the heartlands to reach out to seniors.

Related topics

Covid-19 coronavirus coronavirus vaccine vaccination seniors Ong Ye Kung

Read more of the latest in

Advertisement

Popular

Advertisement

Stay in the know. Anytime. Anywhere.

Subscribe to get daily news updates, insights and must reads delivered straight to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.

Aa