Skip to main content

Advertisement

Advertisement

McDonald’s Singapore outlets to remain closed for ‘just a little longer’ beyond May 5

SINGAPORE — McDonald’s Singapore will not resume operations on May 5, as earlier proposed, and its outlets will remain closed for “just a little longer”, the fast-food chain said on Thursday (April 30).

McDonald's outlets across Singapore, including this one at Chinatown Point, will remain closed for a little longer after May 5, which the fast-food chain had previously stated was the reopening date.

McDonald's outlets across Singapore, including this one at Chinatown Point, will remain closed for a little longer after May 5, which the fast-food chain had previously stated was the reopening date.

Follow TODAY on WhatsApp

SINGAPORE — McDonald’s Singapore will not resume operations on May 5, as earlier proposed, and its outlets will remain closed for “just a little longer”, the fast-food chain said on Thursday (April 30).

In a Facebook post, McDonald’s said this decision had been taken for the “safety and well-being of our employees and customers”, though it did not specify how much longer its outlets would remain shuttered.

“We will continue to monitor the Covid-19 situation in the community before determining an appropriate time for us to reopen,” it said.

On April 19, McDonald’s announced that it would suspend all its restaurant operations in Singapore, including delivery and drive-through services, after seven of its employees tested positive for Covid-19.

The fast-food chain added on Thursday that the firm had suffered no new Covid-19 cases other than the seven. It added that these employees are now “on the road to recovery”.

In reply to a query from TODAY on whether McDonald’s is able to say whether its outlets would reopen by June 1, given that is the current end date for the circuit breaker measures, a spokesperson said it could not offer a more precise date at the moment.

The seven staff members who caught Covid-19 had worked at nine outlets: Lido, Forum Galleria, Parklane, Geylang East Central, Changi Airport Terminal 2, Changi Airport Terminal 3, its drive-through store at a Shell petrol kiosk in Tampines, Pasir Ris Central and Pasir Ris Sports Complex, McDonald’s stated previously.

The temporary suspension of its services came after a directive by the Ministry of Health to suspend its operations at all outlets as a “preventative action” against Covid-19.

McDonald’s said previously that the firm will continue to pay McDonald’s staff during this period of closure, and that their jobs are secure.

“Our frontline employees are important to us and we wish for all of them to stay home a little longer,” it reiterated on Thursday.

“They can also be rest assured that their jobs are secure, and that they will be paid their salaries during this temporary closure.”

McDonald’s has more than 10,000 full-time and part-time staff in Singapore. This includes employees working at its corporate headquarters, restaurant crew as well as McDelivery riders.

It has more than 135 restaurants, 17 drive-throughs, 42 dessert kiosks and 48 McCafe outlets across the island.

Related topics

McDonald's Covid-19 coronavirus

Read more of the latest in

Advertisement

Advertisement

Stay in the know. Anytime. Anywhere.

Subscribe to our newsletter for the top features, insights and must reads delivered straight to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.