Skip to main content

Advertisement

Advertisement

More than 2,900 people have received first dose of Sinovac vaccine since Oct 30

SINGAPORE — More than 2,900 people have received the first dose of the Sinovac-CoronaVac vaccine since the Government made it available at the vaccination centre located at Raffles City Convention Centre and several approved clinics late last month.

People waiting to get their Covid-19 vaccination.

People waiting to get their Covid-19 vaccination.

SINGAPORE — More than 2,900 people have received the first dose of the Sinovac-CoronaVac vaccine since the Government made it available at the vaccination centre located at Raffles City Convention Centre and several approved clinics late last month.

Health Minister Ong Ye Kung said on Monday (Nov 8) that of these 2,900 or more people, 500 are seniors who were allowed to walk in without an appointment. 

Speaking at a press conference, the co-chair of the national Covid-19 task force said that mobile vaccination teams will be administering the Sinovac-CoronaVac vaccine from Monday onwards — following the Government’s announcement to include the vaccine in the national vaccination programme last month.

Since July, these teams — which are especially critical in letting seniors have faster access to the vaccines — have vaccinated 70,000 people, including 27,000 seniors.

Mr Ong said that they contributed to the significant dip in the number of unvaccinated people above the age of 60, from 175,000 in early August to below 64,000 to date.

“If not for this reduction, our hospitals and intensive care units today would have already been overwhelmed.”

The Ministry of Health (MOH) said in a news release on Monday that it will close four more vaccination centres on Dec 1 given the “good progress” made in vaccinations and boosters, and the national vaccination exercise shifts to focusing on vaccine boosters.

“The healthcare staff currently working in these vaccination centres can then be redeployed to bolster our manpower needs in other areas, such as the Covid-19 treatment facilities,” the ministry added.

The four centres to be closed are:

  • Kebun Baru Community Club (CC)
  • Potong Pasir CC
  • Taman Jurong CC
  • Geylang Serai CC

Last Saturday was the last day for people who walked in to get their first dose at Kebun Baru CC and Potong Pasir CC.

For those who are walking in to get their first dose at Taman Jurong CC and Geylang Serai CC, the last day to do so will be on Tuesday.

All four vaccination centres will continue to accept appointments for people to get their second dose and booster jabs until Nov 30.

Related topics

Covid-19 coronavirus vaccine Sinovac mobile vaccination MOH

Read more of the latest in

Advertisement

Popular

Advertisement

Stay in the know. Anytime. Anywhere.

Subscribe to get daily news updates, insights and must reads delivered straight to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.