Skip to main content

Advertisement

Advertisement

Organisers cancel this year’s Singapore Formula 1 Grand Prix in light of Covid-19 pandemic

SINGAPORE — Due to restrictions in place to curb the spread of Covid-19, the Singapore Grand Prix and Formula One (F1) announced on Friday (June 12) that the Singapore night race, which was to be held on Sept 20, has been cancelled.

Singapore Grand Prix said that prohibitions imposed on access and construction of the event venue have halted works and it is unable to complete the circuit infrastructure in time for the yearly night race.

Singapore Grand Prix said that prohibitions imposed on access and construction of the event venue have halted works and it is unable to complete the circuit infrastructure in time for the yearly night race.

SINGAPORE — Due to restrictions in place to curb the spread of Covid-19, the Singapore Grand Prix and Formula One (F1) announced on Friday (June 12) that the Singapore night race, which was to be held on Sept 20, has been cancelled.

Existing ticket holders will receive an automatic refund within 30 business days or, if they prefer, they may opt to roll over their ticket to next year’s event. 

However, ticket holders who made their purchase via the Singapore Grand Prix’s authorised ticketing partners should contact them directly for refunds, Singapore Grand Prix said. 

The race organiser decided to announce the decision to give certainty to fans, ticket holders and commercial partners on whether the race will be held this year.

While there are three more months to go until race day, prohibitions imposed on access and construction of the event venue have halted works, it said.  

“We are therefore unable to complete the race circuit infrastructure in time for the race to take place,” it said. 

The ongoing regulations to reduce the movement of people and crowds as well as the travel restrictions that have been imposed worldwide has also led to the decision to cancel the event.

“These and other measures were understandably put in place by the Singapore Government and the various authorities to prioritise safety and are targeted to manage the Covid-19 pandemic,” it said.  

The Government previously announced that Singapore will exit the circuit breaker period in three phases from June 2. 

The first phase saw the resumption of some economic activities including construction work. More activities will resume in the second phase that the authorities said could happen before the end of June. 

F1 said in a separate statemnet that races that were slated to take place in Azerbaijan and Japan have also been cancelled in light of the pandemic.

Mr Colin Syn, deputy chairman of Singapore Grand Prix, said: “Ultimately, the health and safety of our contractors and their workers, spectators, F1 crew, staff and volunteer marshals are our number one priority and we thank everyone for their patience and unwavering support thus far.”

He added that the Singapore Grand Prix is looking forward to welcoming fans to the race next season.

Related topics

F1 Covid-19 coronavirus Singapore Grand Prix circuit breaker

Read more of the latest in

Advertisement

Popular

Advertisement

Stay in the know. Anytime. Anywhere.

Subscribe to get daily news updates, insights and must reads delivered straight to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.