Skip to main content

Advertisement

Advertisement

Police reviewing longer-term measures for Little India

SINGAPORE — Another man will be charged in court today in relation to the Little India riot on Dec 8, bringing the total number of people charged so far over the incident to 34.

Police officers patrolling at Little India on Dec 15, 2013. Photo: Don Wong

Police officers patrolling at Little India on Dec 15, 2013. Photo: Don Wong

Follow TODAY on WhatsApp

SINGAPORE — Another man will be charged in court today in relation to the Little India riot on Dec 8, bringing the total number of people charged so far over the incident to 34.

The man, 41, is an Indian national. In addition, 24 of the accused are scheduled to have their cases mentioned again in court today.

The police also said yesterday they were reviewing longer-term measures for Little India following a weekend that saw no breaches of the ban on the sale and consumption of alcohol in the area, and no incidents reported.

The interests of all affected stakeholders would be taken into consideration, they said, adding: “Details will be announced in due course.”

The sale and consumption of alcohol was banned in Little India from Dec 14 to 6am yesterday in the wake of the riot.

Little India and its vicinity were also declared a proclaimed area under the Public Order (Preservation) Act during that period.

Related topics

riot

Read more of the latest in

Advertisement

Advertisement

Stay in the know. Anytime. Anywhere.

Subscribe to our newsletter for the top features, insights and must reads delivered straight to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.