Skip to main content

Advertisement

Advertisement

Schools to open only if Govt is sure it’s safe

SINGAPORE — With only a few days to go before the new school term starts, an air of uncertainty hangs over whether schools would reopen for classes next week in light of the haze situation.

Dr Dennis Shirley noted that teachers here are highly skilled and valued. Photo: Wee Teck Hian

Dr Dennis Shirley noted that teachers here are highly skilled and valued. Photo: Wee Teck Hian

Follow TODAY on WhatsApp

SINGAPORE — With only a few days to go before the new school term starts, an air of uncertainty hangs over whether schools would reopen for classes next week in light of the haze situation.

As things stand, schools could welcome their students back on Monday, but as Environment and Water Resources Minister Vivian Balakrishnan pointed out yesterday, the situation is “dynamic”. It could all change with a “slight shift in wind direction”, as he put it. An announcement would be made “probably over the weekend or before”, he said.

And while feverish work is being carried out behind the scenes to prepare contingency plans, some parents were getting anxious as they sought to avoid a scramble to make alternative arrangements in the event that lessons are disrupted.

Ms Noorulain Sheik Mohideen, an administrator, said she has been prepping her nanny to watch over her Primary 2 son if classes are cancelled. “The Government also needs to make it clear to employers that they have to be flexible if staff have to take sudden childcare leave,” she said.

Mr Foo Tiang Jing, a business support manager, said he was uncertain if he could take urgent leave from work. Still, he said he and his wife were prepared to take staggered leave from work if their children — who are in Pri 2 and Pri 6 — have to stay at home.

Responding to reporters’ questions as he laid out his ministry’s contingency plans should the haze return to hazardous levels, Dr Balakrishnan said: “Our key consideration is the safety of our children … so we will open (schools) only if we are convinced that it’s safe.” Adding that it was “too early” to make the call, he said: “The key point I need the nation to know is that we are in a dynamic situation.”

He said the Ministry of Education (MOE) will take all the necessary precautions, “so that even if we open, if we need to respond on an urgent basis, we can do so”. In the days ahead, the MOE will “keep the public and parents like me well-informed”, said Dr Balakrishnan, who has a son in Pri 1.

In response to TODAY’s queries, the MOE said it is “monitoring the haze situation closely and is in close consultation with the relevant agencies ahead of the start of the school term next week”. “We will take reference from the health advisories and work closely with schools to put in place appropriate measures to ensure the well-being of our students and staff,” it added.

While Singapore has enjoyed clear skies since Saturday — after it was previously shrouded in smog for more than a week — the haze in the region, caused by forest fires in Sumatra, is likely to persist because of the dry season.

Dr Balakrishnan said that, based on satellite pictures which he reviewed on Tuesday night, the amount of haze generated from the hotspots was “still very significant”. Noting that Singapore was fortunate to be currently located “at the edge of the haze cloud”, he said the island could be affected by haze again if there is “even a slight shift in wind direction”.

Last Friday, the MOE informed schools to cancel all activities for the rest of the June vacation. On Tuesday, the Government said it was considering closing pre-schools should the 24-hour Pollutants Standards Index (PSI) reach the “hazardous” level.

And as educators head back to schools this week for meetings to prepare for the resumption of classes, school leaders said the haze situation is among the topics that they would be discussing.

Edgefield Primary Principal Willy Tan said his school has not made firm plans but will be monitoring the PSI readings in the days ahead. “We will try to normalise school operations as much (as we can) without compromising the health of our children,” he said.

Mr Tan added that the school is considering options including using the learning management system for students to learn at home and asking asthmatic students not to come to school if a serious bout of haze returns. “The school also has a ready supply of N95 masks, but we will be assessing how to use them appropriately,” he said.

The Ministry of Health said earlier this week that these masks are not certified for children’s use.

Ngee Ann Secondary Principal Adrian Lim said teachers will be watchful of students with asthmatic and respiratory issues.

The school is assessing its facilities to see if it can shift most physical activities indoors. “The situation is still very fluid,” he noted.

The polytechnics, which resumed lesson this week, have been tweaking advisories for their students in response to the changing situation.

At Singapore Polytechnic (SP), for instance, students were told last Friday that classes would proceed but outdoor activities would cease until further notice. On Monday, in light of the improving haze situation, SP issued another advisory to inform students that its sport facilities were reopened and all co-curricular activities could resume.

Yesterday, Nanyang Polytechnic posted a notice on its website to inform students about the resumption of outdoor activities. WITH ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY AMANDA LEE

Read more of the latest in

Advertisement

Advertisement

Stay in the know. Anytime. Anywhere.

Subscribe to our newsletter for the top features, insights and must reads delivered straight to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.