Skip to main content

Advertisement

Advertisement

Singapore F1 race cancelled for second consecutive year due to Covid-19

SINGAPORE — The 2021 Singapore Formula 1 Grand Prix has been cancelled due to safety concerns and logistical challenges brought about by the Covid-19 pandemic.

Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel and Ferrari's Charles Leclerc in action during the race at the Singapore Grand Prix in 2019.

Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel and Ferrari's Charles Leclerc in action during the race at the Singapore Grand Prix in 2019.

Follow us on Instagram and Tiktok, and join our Telegram channel for the latest updates.

SINGAPORE — The 2021 Singapore Formula 1 Grand Prix has been cancelled due to safety concerns and logistical challenges brought about by the Covid-19 pandemic.

Announcing its cancellation on Friday (June 4) night, race organiser Singapore GP said that tickets for this year’s F1 race have not been released for sale yet.

Those who bought tickets to last year’s race, which has been deferred to the 2021 race, will be fully refunded.

This is the second time the Singapore Grand Prix has been cancelled.

The organiser said that it is in discussions with the Government and Formula 1 on hosting the Formula 1 World Championship going forward.

“We are working towards a mutually beneficial outcome for all parties and will announce details in due course,” it said in a press statement.

Mr Colin Syn, deputy chairman of Singapore GP, said: “We understand that our fans were looking forward to another edition of the Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix. To cancel the event for a second year is an incredibly difficult decision, but a necessary one in light of the prevailing restrictions for live events in Singapore.”

He added that organisers would not be able to deliver the full experience of the annual night race that fans have come to expect. The three-day event is normally accompanied by live performances by global artistes.

The calendar for this year has 23 races and the stop in Singapore was meant to be held from Oct 1 to 3 after the one in Russia and before the one in Japan.

Singapore GP said that it has become increasingly challenging to stage a “complex multi-faceted event” for tens of thousands of spectators given the unpredictability of the pandemic.

“Ultimately, we have to be responsible, cautious and prudent as safety is our number one concern,” Mr Syn said.

Ms Ong Ling Lee, director of sports at Singapore Tourism Board, said that the agency understands the decision to cancel the race.

“Given the unpredictable Covid-19 situation around the world, this decision prioritises the health and safety of all participants, fans and the public... We are working closely with Singapore GP, Formula 1 and other government agencies to determine the future of the race,” she said.

Related topics

Covid-19 coronavirus F1 Singapore Grand Prix

Read more of the latest in

Advertisement

Popular

Advertisement

Stay in the know. Anytime. Anywhere.

Subscribe to get daily news updates, insights and must reads delivered straight to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.