Skip to main content

Advertisement

Advertisement

Teacher in alleged child abuse case sacked

SINGAPORE — NTUC First Campus yesterday sacked the part-time teacher who allegedly caused a three-year-old boy to fracture his shin when she handled him roughly on Friday. She was sacked after being given a chance to explain herself.

NTUC First Campus has sacked the part-time teacher who allegedly caused a three-year-old boy to fracture his shin due to her rough handling, after giving her a chance to explain herself.

Photo: facebook.com/bogues.love

NTUC First Campus has sacked the part-time teacher who allegedly caused a three-year-old boy to fracture his shin due to her rough handling, after giving her a chance to explain herself.

Photo: facebook.com/bogues.love

Follow TODAY on WhatsApp

SINGAPORE — NTUC First Campus yesterday sacked the part-time teacher who allegedly caused a three-year-old boy to fracture his shin when she handled him roughly on Friday. She was sacked after being given a chance to explain herself.

The 51-year-old part-time teacher, who was arrested on Sunday and is out on bail, was caught on closed-circuit television camera dragging the boy and pushing him to the floor.

It has also emerged that at least two other parents have lodged police reports against the NTUC My First Skool centre at Toa Payoh Block 192.

Yesterday, NTUC First Campus Chief Executive Officer Chan Tee Seng and My First Skool General Manager Adeline Tan were at the centre to meet some parents whose children were in the same playgroup class as the boy to “answer queries and to address their concerns”. At the session attended by about 10 parents, two parents said they have also gone to the police. “Two parents informed NTUC First Campus that they have filed police reports. (It) assured the parents that it will fully cooperate with the police in these investigations,” NTUC said in a media statement.

Chinese evening daily Lianhe Wanbao quoted a third parent who attended the three-hour meeting as saying that his two-year-old son had been waking up crying in the middle of the night since the same teacher took over his son’s care last month. His wife also claimed that there were “bruises on his arm”. The couple are awaiting answers from the centre’s principal before making a police report.

NTUC said additional engagement sessions are being planned for parents who did not attend yesterday’s session. It added that senior early childhood specialists from the headquarters have been deployed to support the teachers in the playgroup class to “ensure the well-being of the children”. Counsellors have also been engaged to provide support to staff who have been affected by the incident.

NTUC said, at a panel convened to give the teacher “an opportunity to explain what happened”, she acknowledged that her actions were inappropriate and accepted the dismissal with immediate effect.

Read more of the latest in

Advertisement

Advertisement

Stay in the know. Anytime. Anywhere.

Subscribe to our newsletter for the top features, insights and must reads delivered straight to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.