Thaipusam is one of the few religious foot processions to be held in Singapore: Shanmugam
SINGAPORE — Touching on the differences between religious events — like Thaipusam — and cultural events, such as the recently-celebrated St Patrick’s Day, and Chingay, Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam sought to address concerns the Indian community had surrounding the Hindu festival on Sunday (March 25).
Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam speaks at a post-Thaipusam dialogue at PGP Hall, Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple, on March 25, 2018. Photo: Koh Mui Fong/TODAY
SINGAPORE — Touching on the differences between religious events — like Thaipusam — and cultural events, such as the recently-celebrated St Patrick’s Day, and Chingay, Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam sought to address concerns the Indian community had surrounding the Hindu festival on Sunday (March 25).
Speaking at a post-Thaipusam dialogue held at the PGP Hall of Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple, Mr Shanmugam told an audience of about 200 people, which included Hindu community leaders, bloggers and kavadi carriers, that while the likelihood of cultural events being a “flashpoint” exists, it is “not as high” as that of religious events.
The comparisons between Thaipusam and other cultural events were recently thrust back into the spotlight, when the police granted a permit for St Patrick’s Day celebrations last week. Many netizens pounced on the comparisons between both celebrations.
Explaining on Sunday that all religious foot processions have been banned since 1964, after riots occurred, the minister reiterated that Hindus were given an exemption on three occasions — Thaipusam, Panguni Uthiram and Thimithi — passing through major roads.
The police, he said, have rejected past applications for all other forms of religious foot processions.
For St Patrick’s Day, he reiterated the point that the event was celebrated in Singapore with a “series of conditions”, which stipulate that no religious elements are to be exhibited or displayed during the event. This includes religious symbols, music, attire or rituals.
Mr Shanmugam also told the audience that while the event was treated as a religious event in Ireland, it was celebrated here as a secular, cultural event.
On comments made on social media about road closures for St Patrick’s Day, the minister clarified that it was for a fair that followed the St Patrick’s Day celebrations, and was not for the actual procession.
“It is not a religious event. There are many cultural events that we allow, for many different communities,” he added.
As for Chingay, the minister stressed that it was a “national event”, and, again, it was not religious. It was also held for a shorter time than Thaipusam, and there were no lane closures as it was held at the F1 Pit Building.
At the dialogue, which also included a lively question-and-answer session with audience members, some participants also had questions on the restrictions on live music along the procession, which they felt was critical to the celebration of the festival. In response, Mr Shanmugam said he was prepared to relook restrictions on live music along the procession, including allowing registered volunteer musicians to play, and allowing more live music points for future Thaipusam processions.
The ban on playing of musical instruments during Thaipusam dated back to 1973, due to fights between competing groups, but was relaxed in late-2015.
Since 2016, live music was allowed at the festival, via three live music points along the procession route.
Stressing the importance of live music, one dialogue participant suggested getting musicians and music groups to be registered and accredited, who could then work on a single booklet of songs to be played for the procession.
Calling it a good suggestion, Mr Shanmugam said he was prepared to consider it, if the community is able to carry it out.
He added that as long as “there is no serious disamenities”, he is prepared “to allow more live music points”. In fact, he said: “I am prepared to allow piped-in music all the way.”
Speaking to reporters after the event, Mr Shanmugam said that the post-Thaipusam dialogue session — held regularly with different groups — was a way to “engage” with the community, and allow for a “frank exchange of views”.
“We can’t agree on everything ... there will be differences of viewpoints, but at least they understand what we are thinking, and we understand what they are thinking,” he said.
In a statement after the event, the Hindu Endowments Board (HEB) said temple and community leaders welcomed that greater clarity was provided on the laws governing foot processions, and the exceptions extended to a religious foot procession like Thaipusam in Singapore.
The board also said it will continue its with efforts to facilitate the Thaipusam procession, and will work with the authorities to build on the provisions currently allowed.
