Skip to main content

Advertisement

Advertisement

No more F1 in Malaysia after 2018, tourism minister confirms

KUALA LUMPUR — Malaysia will no longer host the Formula One Grand Prix race in Sepang once the current agreement expires in 2018, Tourism and Culture Minister Nazri Abdul Aziz confirmed on Monday (Nov 21)

Reuters file photo

Reuters file photo

KUALA LUMPUR — Malaysia will no longer host the Formula One Grand Prix race in Sepang once the current agreement expires in 2018, Tourism and Culture Minister Nazri Abdul Aziz confirmed on Monday (Nov 21)

Mr Nazri said he agrees with Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin who had mulled dropping the motorsport event last month, saying that hosting the race is proving to be a costly affair and is not bringing the necessary returns to the country.

“The current agreement is from 2016 to 2018. So once that ends, there will be no more (F1 in Malaysia),” Mr Nazri told reporters at Parliament today.

“F1 attendance is dropping and there is less attraction now. We are spending RM 300 million a year (S$97 million) (for the race),” he added.

Despite that, the minister said Malaysia is not recouping the money it is spending to host the race. MALAY MAIL ONLINE

THE STORY IS DEVELOPING

Read more of the latest in

Advertisement

Popular

Advertisement

Stay in the know. Anytime. Anywhere.

Subscribe to get daily news updates, insights and must reads delivered straight to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.