Hong Kong third wave: Travellers from US, Kazakhstan added to ‘high-risk’ category as city tops previous daily record
HONG KONG — Hong Kong residents returning from the United States and Kazakhstan will be required to quarantine in hotels rather than at home, and present proof they are free from Covid-19 before boarding flights to the city, as the government unveiled a range of stepped-up measures amid the worsening coronavirus situation.
Cleaning workers wearing protective gear walk past a wet market following the coronavirus disease outbreak at Sham Shui Po, one of the oldest districts in Hong Kong.
HONG KONG — Hong Kong residents returning from the United States and Kazakhstan will be required to quarantine in hotels rather than at home, and present proof they are free from Covid-19 before boarding flights to the city, as the government unveiled a range of stepped-up measures amid the worsening coronavirus situation.
The moves came as Hong Kong logged another record-high number of Covid-19 infections on Wednesday (July 22), according to medical sources, with mask-wearing in indoor public venues set to become a requirement starting on Thursday.
Sources told the Post that the latest figure, which includes some 60 preliminary cases recorded a day earlier, had topped the previous daily record, Sunday’s 108 confirmed cases.
Travellers from the US and Kazakhstan were classified under a group of “high-risk” countries where the risk of infection was severe enough that quarantine at hotels and pre-boarding health certificates, valid for 72 hours before boarding, were necessary, Secretary for Food and Health Professor Sophia Chan Siu-chee said at a press conference.
Passengers will also be required to present proof they have booked a hotel for at least two weeks before being allowed to enter the city.
Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Nepal, Pakistan, the Philippines and South Africa were already on the list.
Prof Chan added that, from Thursday, mask-wearing regulations would be enforced in indoor venues, after the move was endorsed at a special morning Executive Council meeting.
“The coming one to two weeks will be critical to the development of the epidemic situation,” Prof Chan said. “I strongly urge all people to stay at home and refrain from going out unnecessarily.
“If the amount of confirmed cases increases further, we will not rule out more stringent control measures,” she added.
The government began requiring residents last week to wear masks while taking public transport.
Under the latest preventive measure, Prof Chan said the coverings would now be mandatory at all indoor venues the public could freely enter or leave, including shopping malls, supermarkets, building lobbies and shops.
Anyone flouting the new regulation will be subject to a fine maximum of HKD$5,000 (S$894).
Prof Chan also cited traffic data from the MTR Corporation, the city’s rail operator, suggesting there had been a recent decrease in passengers.
“This is a good sign, but we need a further drop, because to cut the transmission chain in the community, we really need to quiet down and stay home,” she said.
“If everybody works together to minimise unnecessary social activities for a short while, one or two weeks, I am sure the situation will improve.”
As of Tuesday, the city’s tally of confirmed cases had reached 2,019, with 14 fatalities.
Microbiologist Dr Ho Pak-leung on Wednesday agreed the government might have to impose stricter measures soon rather than waiting to see if the current round of regulations, which include a dine-in ban after 6pm and the closure of certain venues, would work.
“The dine-in ban could be extended to a full day, which would be a very targeted measure as many of the recent clusters broke out in restaurants,” Dr Ho said on a radio programme.
“Of course, the government will have to balance the needs of the industry, although at this point it is better to take the short-term hit before the medical system is completely overwhelmed.” SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST
