Skip to main content

Advertisement

Advertisement

No home visits allowed for Chinese New Year, says Putrajaya

KUALA LUMPUR — Chinese New Year celebrations next week will be limited to those living in the same house, Malaysia’s senior minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob said on Thursday (Feb 4).

No home visits allowed for Chinese New Year, says Putrajaya

A shopper walks in a hallway with lantern decorations for Chinese New Year celebrations at a shopping mall in Kuala Lumpur on Wednesday, Feb 3, 2021.

KUALA LUMPUR — Chinese New Year celebrations next week will be limited to those living in the same house, Malaysia’s senior minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob said on Thursday (Feb 4).

The defence minister who is also in charge of security during the Covid-19 pandemic said home visits — which had been allowed during festivals last year — will not be allowed, even as he announced the reopening of more economic sectors, including hair salons, barbershops and car wash outlets from Friday.

“After looking into all aspects, these are the standard operating procedures (SOP) agreed upon. Firstly, the Chinese New Year celebration is only allowed within the same household.

“Inside the house, with family members from the same household. Regardless whether it is prayers or anything else, it has to only be confined within the same household,” he said in a live broadcast on Thursday evening.

He said the “huge family dinners” that are customarily held on the eve of Chinese New Year — also known as reunion dinners — can only involve members from the same household this time.

“The dinners cannot be done like last time, where many come over,” he added.

He added that all forms of stage and cultural shows, including lion and dragon dance performances, Chinese opera shows as well as the annual Chingay parade are banned.

“However for Sarawak, we leave the announcement to the Sarawak government,” he said.

He indicated that the rules may differ as Sarawak is not bound by widespread movement control order (MCO) like the rest of the country.

“In Sarawak, there are enforced movement control order and conditional movement control order areas. So we leave that to the Sarawak state government,” he added. MALAY MAIL

Related topics

Covid-19 coronavirus Malaysia MCO Chinese New Year

Read more of the latest in

Advertisement

Popular

Advertisement

Stay in the know. Anytime. Anywhere.

Subscribe to get daily news updates, insights and must reads delivered straight to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.

Aa