Skip to main content

Advertisement

Advertisement

Musk says S$61.5-billion Twitter deal temporarily on hold

WASHINGTON — Mr Elon Musk said on Friday (May 13) his US$44-billion (S$61.5 billion) deal for Twitter was temporarily on hold, citing pending details on spam and fake accounts.

Musk says S$61.5-billion Twitter deal temporarily on hold

Mr Elon Musk's Twitter profile is seen on a smartphone placed on printed Twitter logos in this picture illustration taken on April 28, 2022.

WASHINGTON — Mr Elon Musk said on Friday (May 13) his US$44-billion (S$61.5 billion) deal for Twitter was temporarily on hold, citing pending details on spam and fake accounts.

"Twitter deal temporarily on hold pending details supporting calculation that spam/fake accounts do indeed represent less than 5 per cent of users," Mr Musk said in a tweet.

Shares of the social media company fell 20 per cent in premarket trading. Twitter did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The company had earlier this month estimated that false or spam accounts represented fewer than 5 per cent of its monetisable daily active users during the first quarter.

It also said it faced several risks until the deal with Mr Musk is closed, including whether advertisers would continue to spend on Twitter.

Mr Musk, the world's richest man and the chief executive of Tesla, had said that one of his priorities would be to remove "spam bots" from the platform. REUTERS

Related topics

Elon Musk twitter

Read more of the latest in

Advertisement

Popular

Advertisement

Stay in the know. Anytime. Anywhere.

Subscribe to get daily news updates, insights and must reads delivered straight to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.

Aa