MACC to ‘most likely’ appeal A-G’s decision to close Najib probes
KUALA LUMPUR — The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) may appeal the Attorney-General’s (A-G) decision on the SRC International and RM2.6 billion (S$871 million) cases, according to its special operations director Mr Bahri Mohd Zin.
KUALA LUMPUR — The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) may appeal the Attorney-General’s (A-G) decision on the SRC International and RM2.6 billion (S$871 million) cases, according to its special operations director Mr Bahri Mohd Zin.
Mr Bahri said it was “most likely” that the MACC would consider appealing to the A-G to reconsider his decision in the “straightforward case”, The Star Online reported today (Jan 27).
At a press conference yesterday, A-G Mohamed Apandi Ali announced that he had found no evidence of wrongdoing in the corruption probes on SRC International, a unit formerly owned by 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB), and the transfer of a RM2.6 billion donation into Prime Minister Najib Razak’s private accounts.
He added the he would return the investigation papers to the MACC and instruct them to close the cases.
In addressing questions surrounding the cash deposits into the Mr Najib’s private accounts, Mr Apandi said a sum totaling US$681 million (S$971 million) from the Saudi royal family was transferred in batches between March and April 2013.
He added that investigations showed a sum of US$620 million was returned by Mr Najib in August that same year because “the sum was not utilised”.
Mr Apandi also said that investigations showed no evidence that the prime minister had used his position to approve a government guarantee of a RM4 billion loan from the Retirement Fund Incorporated (KWAP) into SRC International.
He added that there was no evidence showing Mr Najib being solicited or promised any gratification from any party before, during or after the Cabinet decision was made, nor was there evidence on there being a conflict of interest.
In a response last night, Mr Najib said that he welcomed Mr Apandi’s decision on the cases, and urged the public to put the matter to rest.
In a statement on his Facebook page, the prime minister also called the issue an “unnecessary distraction” for the country and said Mr Apandi’s decision only confirmed his position all along that no crime had been committed. MALAY MAIL ONLINE
