Skip to main content

Advertisement

Advertisement

Beach Road slashing victim launches fundraising campaign for S$105,000 in medical, caregiving expenses

SINGAPORE — The victim of a brutal slashing outside a restaurant on Beach Road last month is raising money through a charity platform to help pay for her medical fees, among other expenses, which amount to about S$105,000. 

The scene along Beach Road where Ms Han Hongli, 42, was allegedly attacked by her husband with a chopper.

The scene along Beach Road where Ms Han Hongli, 42, was allegedly attacked by her husband with a chopper.

Follow us on Instagram and Tiktok, and join our Telegram channel for the latest updates.

SINGAPORE — The victim of a brutal slashing outside a restaurant on Beach Road last month is raising money through a charity platform to help pay for her medical fees, among other expenses, which amount to about S$105,000. 

Crowdfunding platform Ray of Hope put up the campaign on Tuesday (May 10) with the permission of the victim, Ms Han Hongli, 42, who was allegedly attacked on April 14 by 46-year-old Cheng Guoyuan with a chopper as onlookers tried to intervene.

Cheng, a China national, is believed to be the victim's husband, the police previously said. 

The six-figure sum she hopes to raise is to cover about S$68,000 worth of medical fees, and about S$8,000 in medical caregiving fees for nurse respite care. Other expenses include loss of income for a year, "shelter fees", as well as S$6,000 for a full-time caregiver. 

The medical fees stated are as of May 5, and are likely to increase, Ray of Hope said on its website. The campaign target will be increased once the updated medical bills are received. 

Ms Han has undergone four surgeries for her head, eyes and hands, and was also advised that she would need two more surgeries to regain her eyesight, the website stated.

She told Ray of Hope that despite her injuries, she is worried about her two children back home. 

"I am in great pain every single day since the incident. Thinking about my children keeps me alive," the website quoted her as saying. 

Ms Han is from Henan, China, and her two children, aged 20 and 17, are being looked after by her family.

Ray of Hope is working with Ms Han’s employer and a non-government organisation (NGO) to support her during this “difficult period”. The names of the employer and NGO were not mentioned on the website.

The attack happened in broad daylight last month, with videos posted online showing a man with blood on his arms brandishing a chopper and apparently attacking Ms Han with it.

Onlookers who tried to stop him by throwing chairs, ladders and signboards at him were later commended by the police for their efforts.

Cheng was charged on April 16 with attempted murder. If found guilty, he may be jailed for life. He may also be jailed for up to 20 years, and be liable to caning or a fine, or both. 

Ms Han was reportedly working at an eatery along Beach Road, and some co-workers in the area told the media last month that they had raised about S$20,000 for her.

As at 6.30pm on Tuesday, the Ray of Hope fundraising campaign has received S$5,800 in donations.  

Related topics

Beach Road crime attempted murder slash knife attack fundraising medical bill

Read more of the latest in

Advertisement

Popular

Advertisement

Stay in the know. Anytime. Anywhere.

Subscribe to get daily news updates, insights and must reads delivered straight to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.