Skip to main content

Advertisement

Advertisement

IDA launches full investigation into fire at SingTel facility

SINAGPORE — The Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) has launched a full investigation into the fire at SingTel’s Bukit Panjang Exchange on Wendesday (Oct 9), resulting in service disruptions across the island.

IDA launches full investigation into fire at SingTel facility

All damaged fibre cables were reconnected by 7.15am on Oct 11, 2013, said SingTel. Photo: @SingTelSupport

SINAGPORE — The Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) has launched a full investigation into the fire at SingTel’s Bukit Panjang Exchange on Wednesday (Oct 9), resulting in service disruptions across the island.

The IDA said it will take “appropriate action to prevent it from happening again”.

“While the operators and affected parties were able to pull together resources in a concerted effort to restore services, this is nevertheless a serious incident affecting many consumers and businesses,” said the IDA in a statement today, as it noted the completion of cable restoration works this morning.

Under the Telecommunication Service Resiliency Code, operators are required to ensure that the design of their networks and services are resilient to service outages, and when outages do occur, to ensure that they restore the services expeditiously.

Last week, the IDA fined telco M1 S$1.5 million for its contravention of the Service Resiliency Code. In that episode, around 250,000 M1 customers were affected when the telco’s 2G and 3G mobile telephone services were disrupted for more than 60 hours early this year.

The IDA reiterated today that it has completed a review of the resiliency of the mobile networks of the three mobile operators in areas such as network design, technical processes, business continuity planning, and infrastructure.

It will continue to “work with all operators to enhance resiliency of the infocomm infrastructure and minimise disruptions to consumers and businesses”.

SingTel updated this morning that all fiber broadband services affected by the fire were fixed by 7.15am.

“There may be a need for limited network adjustments, which may affect service performance for some customers. Some customers may experience difficulties in bringing equipment such as modems and set-top boxes back into operation, and we ask them to contact us for assistance,” said the telco.

The two other major telcos, StarHub and M1 have updated their customers on the restoration development on their various social networking platforms.

In a Facebook update around noon, StarHub said: “As at 10am this morning, over 95% of our fibre broadband services to affected customers has been restored. We continue to work with SingTel to ensure that their services to us remain stable.”

M1 also posted a Facebook update around 8am, saying: “OpenNet has restored service to 95% of our fibre customers affected by the fire at SingTel’s exchange, and we are carrying out confirmation checks with affected customers now.”

Related topics

SingTel fire

Read more of the latest in

Advertisement

Popular

Advertisement

Stay in the know. Anytime. Anywhere.

Subscribe to get daily news updates, insights and must reads delivered straight to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.

Aa