Skip to main content

Advertisement

Advertisement

Second Link to have more lanes, parking stations for heavy vehicles if diversion plan implemented: Johor official

SINGAPORE — If Johor decides to go ahead with a proposal to divert heavy vehicles travelling between Singapore and Malaysia from the Causeway at Woodlands to the Second Link at Tuas, the number of lanes and parking stations along the Second Link will be increased to facilitate the proposed diversion.

SINGAPORE — If Johor decides to go ahead with a proposal to divert heavy vehicles travelling between Singapore and Malaysia from the Causeway at Woodlands to the Second Link at Tuas, the number of lanes and parking stations along the Second Link will be increased to facilitate the proposed diversion.

This was stated by Johor’s State Public Works, Rural and Regional Development Committee chairman Hasni Mohammad as he elaborated on plans -- which he had earlier mentioned at a state legislative assembly sitting on Monday -- to ease congestion in Johor’s city centre.

A decision will be made when his committee concludes its one-year study by the end of this year, he told TODAY.

The diversion, if implemented, will first involve heavy vehicles registered in Malaysia by March next year, and they will not be allowed to pass through the Causeway.

“There will be no facilities for them (heavy vehicles), no customs to check their goods,” Mr Hasni said, likening it to an earlier ruling that restricts motorcycles from travelling on elevated highways in Malaysia.

“Congestion is increasingly very obvious because of economic activity that is going on between the two countries. In view of other plans, such as added facilities in the Customs Immigration Complex and (along the) Second Link, (diversion) will be the best alternative whereby our current road works system allows a better flow for traffic avoiding the city centre.”

The study is undertaken by the Malaysian authorities, who are looking into whether there is a need to involve Singapore in the discussions.

“It does make sense to involve Singapore, but let the study be completed first ... If we feel that foreign-registered vehicles will enjoy better facilities, then why not?” said Mr Hasni.

Besides widening and increasing lanes at the Second Link, there are also plans to set up a transit site or parking stations for heavy vehicles waiting to enter Singapore via the Second Link, Mr Hasni said.

“Since both (Malaysia and Singapore) have decided the Causeway should remain as it is ... we might as well plan traffic flow as an alternative to overcome the congestion,” he added.

Read more of the latest in

Advertisement

Advertisement

Stay in the know. Anytime. Anywhere.

Subscribe to our newsletter for the top features, insights and must reads delivered straight to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.