Todd’s parents voice displeasure
The parents of American researcher Shane Todd — who requested that the inquiry be adjourned because they were “very disappointed” with the proceedings so far — voiced their dissatisfaction to reporters yesterday as they left the Subordinate Courts.
The parents of American researcher Shane Todd — who requested that the inquiry be adjourned because they were “very disappointed” with the proceedings so far — voiced their dissatisfaction to reporters yesterday as they left the Subordinate Courts.
They noted that material evidence at the scene “hasn’t been preserved”, and questioned why the inquiry did not look into “the fact of all these things that add up to murder and not suicide”.
“There’s other things, too — the compromising of the scene, the moving of the body — why did they take down his body before the forensic expert came?” Mrs Todd asked.
In a statement yesterday, the State Counsel team from the Attorney-General’s Chambers reiterated that Dr Todd’s body was taken down from its hanging position in accordance with police protocol.
They added that it was “not appropriate” to comment on how thorough police investigations have been, “as the inquiry is still ongoing”.
On why the case has focused on suicide and not homicide, the State Counsellors said that while the counsel for the Todds has raised “hypothetical possibilities as to what might have happened”, they have not provided any other evidence other than reports, which have been submitted to the court.
They said the pathologist engaged by the Todd family, Dr Edward H Adelstein, has been invited to present evidence in person at the inquiry. He will give evidence through video-link on Monday, and the State is “prepared to provide the same funding” to the computer forensic analyst engaged by the Todds, they added.
