Skip to main content

Advertisement

Advertisement

Covid-19: 22-year-old charged with breaching quarantine order less than half an hour before it ended

SINGAPORE — A 22-year-old man was charged in a district court on Friday (April 24) under the Infectious Diseases Act with leaving his place of isolation while under a quarantine order.

Covid-19: 22-year-old charged with breaching quarantine order less than half an hour before it ended

Tay Chun Hsien was charged under the Infectious Diseases Act with leaving his Chua Chu Kang flat just as his quarantine order was about to end.

SINGAPORE — A 22-year-old man was charged in a district court on Friday (April 24) under the Infectious Diseases Act with leaving his place of isolation while under a quarantine order.

Tay Chun Hsien allegedly left his Chua Chu Kang flat between 11.30am and 12pm on March 22, just as his quarantine order was about to end, court documents stated. 

He had been ordered by the Director of Medical Services Kenneth Mak to be isolated in his home, located along Choa Chu Kang North 7, from March 19 till noon on March 22.

A person can be ordered to be isolated if he is, or is suspected to be, a carrier of an infectious disease, a contact of someone who has it, or if he has recently recovered or been treated for it.

Court documents did not state why Tay was under a quarantine order, why he breached it or how long he remained outdoors for.

Tay, who turned up in court dressed in a suit, told District Judge Lorraine Ho that he intends to plead guilty and does not wish to hire a lawyer. 

He will return to court on April 29 and is expected to admit to his charge then.

Ministry of Health prosecutor Andre Moses Tan, who appeared in court through the video-conferencing app Zoom, said that the Attorney-General’s Chambers will take over the case. 

If convicted, Tay could be jailed up to six months, fined up to S$10,000, or both.

Last week, two foreign workers became the first individuals to be charged with leaving their places of isolation after being placed on quarantine orders.

Liu Dufeng, a 49-year-old Chinese national, and Vardireddy Nageswara Reddy, a 35-year-old Indian national, are work permit holders.

As of Thursday evening, the number of confirmed Covid-19 cases has crossed the 11,000 mark. There were 1,037 new cases reported, marking the fourth day in a row that the daily figure of new confirmed cases was above 1,000.

Related topics

Covid-19 coronavirus quarantine breach court Infectious Diseases Act

Read more of the latest in

Advertisement

Popular

Advertisement

Stay in the know. Anytime. Anywhere.

Subscribe to get daily news updates, insights and must reads delivered straight to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.

Aa